This How-To will help you solve a ‘Load Paper’ error message even though there is paper in the front load tray using your HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless All-in-One Printer.
When I try to print anything my HP Officejet 6500 greets me with the message “Load Paper” even though there is paper in the front loading tray. It seems that the paper isn’t being fed into the printer even though I can hear it trying to grab a piece of paper.
After reviewing a few HP videos and reading numerous HP “answers” with no solution I came up with my own solution to this problem that I experienced recently.
The idea was that the internal drop-down rollers may be dirty, dusty or coated with paper fibers after a year’s use and probably need cleaning.
When you peer into the front of the area where the paper is loaded it’s pretty obvious by looking at Photo 1 that you can barely get your hand, let alone your fingers, in to clean the rollers, which are located at the very top as seen in Photo 2.
I noticed that my rollers where in fact lightly coated with paper fibers from use.
So, how to get to the rollers?
Simple. Let the rollers come to you.
One of the best cleaning solutions for electrical parts, or in this case rollers, is rubbing alcohol which you can buy at and CVS or Walgreens Pharmacy store in your area.
As you can see in Photo 2 (I used a small LED flashlight) the two rollers drop down as one unit and make contact on top of the copier paper spinning to advance the paper forward and up through the printer. You can watch this by holding down the CANCEL button and the OK button at the same time. This prints a test page.
1. Place and HOLD a sheet of paper towel (the more textured the better) on top of your small stack of copier paper, the rollers will drop down and leave a mark much like someone spinning their tires on the pavement.
2. Now remove the paper towel and soak it lightly, or dampen the area, with the rubbing alcohol as seen in Photo 3.
3. Fold the left side of the paper towel over a little, there’s no need to cut it off. You simply want to align the paper towel on top of the copier paper which is 8 1/2 x 11 as seen in Photo 4.
4. Now place/insert, and HOLD onto this “combo” in the tray on top of a small stack of copier paper as seen in Photo 5. You DO NOT want to advance and allow this paper towel to go through the printer!
5. Press and hold the CANCEL button and at the same time press the OK button. This will print a test page. As you hold onto the “combo” you can peer into the tray and watch the rollers drop down and spin around on the rubbing alcohol soaked paper towel as it cleans the rollers. You may want to repeat this a few times to clean the rollers.
6. Remove the “combo” from the tray and leave your stack of copier paper. Once again, press and hold the CANCEL button while you press the OK button. to test if the rollers now grab and advance your paper.
It worked for me and hope this worked for you.
Drop me a line if this solution was helpful or not.
Tags: HP 6500, HP 6500 printer, HP All-In_One, HP error, HP how to, HP Officejet 6500, HP Officejet wireless, HP paper error, HP paper not advancing, HP paper not loading, HP wireless printer, Load paper error, load paper error message, paper jam